2.12.2012

Staghorn Ferns



photos by Christopher Baker for Architectural Digest


photo by Allison Abney

Recently I was flipping through the latest issue of Architectural Digest and I came across Julianne Moore's Manhattan garden that I thought to be so beautiful and understated. Brian Sawyer(http://www.sawyerberson.com/) designed it and the garden is filled with boxwoods, staghorn ferns and ivy. Simple, green and verdant...her garden is so soothing and at the same time a bit moody, but possesses a quiet, peaceful mood, I think. I have always loved the sculptural beauty of staghorn ferns, and these photos of JM's garden shot by Christopher Baker inspired me to finally get some of my own. Friday was a perfect day for perusing Hyam's on James Island and so my 9 month old, Celia, and I found three ferns we liked, brought them home and hung them in the sunroom. She's good with a hammer. Needing not much more than filtered light, misting once daily and a good soak in the tub once a week, the staghorn ferns(not the baby!) are low maintenance. I plan to bring them outside in the spring and summer and hang on the wall of my porch. Boo tells me she sees them all the time in Florida hanging on trees, like orchids. I love the tropical and wild feel of them, don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment