3.06.2012

Inspiring Chefs

summer farro / winter farro

As Allison had mentioned in the previous post, the Wine and Food Festival came to Charleston this past weekend. Despite the nasty weather of wind and constant rain, we and other dedicated foodies participated in the festivities. As part of my early birthday celebration (thanks to Allison) we went to meet a small group of well known chefs. Having no clue of what to expect of the afternoon - I was more than pleasantly surprised by these talented cook's and writer's warmth and welcome. It was much more personal than I had anticipated. We got to really talk with the chefs about food and life in general. It was very casual and easy. We all could have hung out well into the evening.

I bought two cook books - 'Salt to Taste' by Marco Canora and 'Cooking in the Moment' by Andrea Reusing. I have been to Canora's restaurant Hearth in New York City many times. Not only is is an exceptional meal - but conviently located right down the street from my sister's apartment. I have not yet made anything from 'Salt to Taste' but have bookmarked a lot of recipes. I can not wait to try both of his farros - they look amazing. This cook book is a beautiful example of Canora's talent with fresh foods.

I was so glad we got to meet Andrea Reusing, chef and owner of Lantern Restaurant in Chapel Hill, NC. I felt like I was hanging out with a friend. It was both comfortable and fun. Having spent four years as an undergrad in Chapel Hill, I have strong ties and appreciation for this unique place. The area is very fortunate to have such wonderful local resources of farms and markets. Andrea's food reflect the local abundance with an asian twist. If you have not been to her restaurant, it is definitely worth the visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment