3.05.2012

A Little Birthday Sunshine

Meyer Lemon Cake-Domino Recipe

Today is Boo's birthday! We celebrated on Saturday afternoon by going to the Charleston Wine and Food Festival's celebrity author reception, then cocktails and dinner. We were blown away by everyone we were so fortunate to meet: Gabrielle Hamilton, Hugh Acheson, Marco Canora, John Besh, Andrea Reusing, and Nathalie Dupree. I came home with 5 cookbooks. I know...how crazy am I??? I could not stop myself.

Cooking is a passion of mine, a stress reliever, a love. It makes me so happy. I think it's funny that when my mom comes to visit and I make dinner, she always says in her Southern accent, "Please don't go to any trouble." And I always laugh because it is no trouble at all, it is peace to me. A time of day when I get to nourish the ones I love and sit around my great grandmother's table and enjoy the food I have made, the day and my family and friends. Not every day is peaceful and that's okay...on most days there is a hungry baby crying, a three year old unhappy about something and a frantic dog pacing the kitchen right under my feet.

But on the days when I can pull it together, I sit and savor every bite and more importantly, I enjoy what it took to get me to the plating of our meal: the perusing of cookbooks, finding just the right recipe, going to the grocery store, farmer's market, butcher or seafood shop, selecting each and every ingredient, getting all my goods out of the car and bringing them inside, cutting the vegetables, standing in my galley kitchen over a hot stove...cooking with a full heart.

So Saturday was really fun. Meeting chefs who I admire. Talking to them about food or family or just about Charleston and hanging out with Boo on her almost birthday and also with three of my other best girlfriends. All drinking wine, catching up, and eating. You would have never known it poured rain the entire day...and yet it all felt so sunny. Happy Birthday Boo! And to all the other foodies out there, these are the cookbooks I brought home. More to come on those this week...





No comments:

Post a Comment