3.18.2012

Spring Forward

I think I officially have spring fever. Spring is here and all I seem to be doing lately is daydreaming. Remember when you were little and when the first bout of spring-like weather came along, all you wanted to do was stay up late, be outside ALL the time, and run around barefoot inside and out. That is how I feel right now.

But last week, with the warmer weather, I spent my days dreaming of a boat in the Caribbean called the Butterbean. In a little over a month, Boo and I and four of our other girlfriends are "sailing" in the British Virgin Islands (we really just cruise around from island to island). It is a Moorings catamaran and we took the trip two years ago and now it is time to return in May.

You have a crew that takes care of you: cooks for you, drops you off at deserted islands to swim ashore and look for coconuts, mixes you fruity cocktails, and picks up after you, hangs up your wet bathing suit and folds all the towels. You don't have to think about anything. At home with two kids, I take care of them day and night: clean the house, the highchair, the food off the floor, administer medicine when they are sick in the middle of the night, get them dressed, comfort them when they are upset and can't find the words to tell me what's wrong. I am their caretaker, their mom and I love being their mother.

But the Butterbean and this trip is all about me and my girlfriends...enjoying ourselves. Period. No plan or schedule. No decisions. This is a picture I took on our last night of another sailboat. I find peace in the ocean, the water refreshes me. Snorkeling and swimming and lazing around in the sun, this vacation restores me and revitalizes my spirit so I can again return to my family and get back to crewing my own ship at home. A little liberty indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment